A MODE BUILT LEGAL SUITE
Extra income within your four walls
Adding a legal suite to your home allows you to offset the cost of your mortgage and also increase the value of your home when the time comes to sell. We’ve worked with clients who want to earn a bit of extra income or create a space for multi-generational living. Whatever the reason, we can navigate the entire process, from obtaining permits and planning the most functional use of your space, to building everything to code. Let’s turn your home into two!
Bedrooms + bathrooms
Living + dining area
We were very happy we picked Mode Built for our legal basement suite we had put into the house we moved into. Right from getting a quote you could tell they knew what they were doing. Everything was done by code and all permits were taken care of. They did amazing at staying within our budget and made the whole renovation process so easy.– Megan Trufyn, Mode Built Client
Questions? We have answers.
Legal suite development FAQ
We know it’s a lot to get into. It’s hard to know where to start. We’ve provided the answers to some common questions about our legal suite development services. Have a question we didn’t cover? No problem, just give us a call!
If you would like to generate extra income by converting your basement into a legal suite, we can help. Mode Built works closely with the City of Edmonton to obtain proper permits and build a suite to code so you can feel confident the job was done right. Mode Built is a trusted Edmonton basement contractor. At a high level, these would be some of the additional costs and requirements for developing you legal suite:
- Secondary Access
- Secondary Heating Source
- Sound Proofing
Legal suite costs can range significantly based on the size of the space, the number of rooms and the type of finishes (flooring, cabinetry, lighting, etc) the homeowner chooses. With the additional requirements mentioned above, expect your legal suite to start at $70,000.
First, we know how important family time is so we’ll never been in your space during evenings or weekends. Here’s what you can expect to happen when you decide to work with us.
- A team member will come to the house for an initial site visit to take accurate measurements and get a sense of your project goals.
- We’ll generate your free estimate based on the square footage of the space and your renovation ideas. We’ll also take this time to thoroughly answer all of your questions to make sure you’re comfortable with all aspects of the project. We understand how important it is to trust your contractor.
- If you want to move forward we’ll finalize the quote after making detailed design decisions with you (flooring, cabinetry, paint, lighting, etc). We understand how stressful it can be to have initial and final cost estimates that vary significantly, so we aim to give as accurate an initial quote as possible.
- Once the contract is signed, Mode Built obtains all the necessary permits for the job.
- A start date is agreed upon, and Shaun and the team get to work! We work 8am to 5pm, and a home owner never has to be home while we are there, as we have an electronic lock on each front door.
We have a two-year warranty on materials and labor that starts from the end of a project and covers defects in materials and/or the outcome of improper installation. However, by aligning ourselves from the start with high quality tradespeople and materials, we aim to significantly reduce any need for warranty service. All projects are built to Alberta Building Code only after the proper permits have been obtained.
Work with us
Ready for an estimate on your space?
Fill out this form and a member of our team will be in touch to schedule a home visit.